For email I much prefer to use a desktop application and for this I much prefer Thunderbird, The sole reason for this is, is that I am not that keen on having my browser open for email, I’m just not keen in to doing everything ‘in the cloud’, if you count having webmail accessed by browser as ‘the cloud’.
Over the past few months I have encountered a couple of problems or annoyances, one of which was due to me making sure the settings were not right for sending emails with the email account that I wanted. The other which is what the title of this post is concerned with is what appears to be multiple replies to an email or even even when typing a long email to someone.
Problem One – Kill the autosave
The first one I encountered was that multiple replies could be seen in the in box, I’m not sure if these were received but it certainly looked like it and only occurred with thunderbird. I reported the problem and saw others had had the same problem. After a while of this I realised one thing all the emails had one thing in common. They had long replies OR took a while due to interruptions. This bought me to the conclusion (sometimes I’m a bit slow on solutions) that it may not be a bug like what some have suggested in replies to the problem but the solution could be the settings!
The solution was that I simply checked the auto save. I have a feeling (and I may be wrong) that when the draft was auto saved that what I had written was actually sent! All I did was stop the auto save which is found in Preferences–>Composition–>general. This seems to have solved the problem.
Problem Two – Check Those Account Settings
The second problem was unknown until I tried sending an email to a user list. If you only use one email account with Thunderbird then you will not encounter this. I have two accounts set up with Thunderbird and for some reason the wrong one was listed as default, I changed this when I realised that emails were going through the wrong account BUT didn’t change everything. I hadn’t changed the out going server in the account settings to match the account that I was trying to use to send the email. This is simply a case were checking everything matches within each accounts settings because thunderbird will auto-fill the boxes and in some cases use the server setting from the other account.
These solutions to my problems has got me thinking, and problems on forums also show this, most problems could be within the settings and not bugs or in some cases, a problem with hardware compatability.