For email I much prefer to use a desktop application and for this I much prefer Thunderbird, The sole reason for this is, is that I am not that keen on having my browser open for email, I’m just not keen in to doing everything ‘in the cloud’, if you count having webmail accessed by browser as ‘the cloud’.
Over the past few months I have encountered a couple of problems or annoyances, one of which was due to me making sure the settings were not right for sending emails with the email account that I wanted. The other which is what the title of this post is concerned with is what appears to be multiple replies to an email or even even when typing a long email to someone.
Problem One – Kill the autosave
The first one I encountered was that multiple replies could be seen in the in box, I’m not sure if these were received but it certainly looked like it and only occurred with thunderbird. I reported the problem and saw others had had the same problem. After a while of this I realised one thing all the emails had one thing in common. They had long replies OR took a while due to interruptions. This bought me to the conclusion (sometimes I’m a bit slow on solutions) that it may not be a bug like what some have suggested in replies to the problem but the solution could be the settings!
The solution was that I simply checked the auto save. I have a feeling (and I may be wrong) that when the draft was auto saved that what I had written was actually sent! All I did was stop the auto save which is found in Preferences–>Composition–>general. This seems to have solved the problem.
Problem Two – Check Those Account Settings
The second problem was unknown until I tried sending an email to a user list. If you only use one email account with Thunderbird then you will not encounter this. I have two accounts set up with Thunderbird and for some reason the wrong one was listed as default, I changed this when I realised that emails were going through the wrong account BUT didn’t change everything. I hadn’t changed the out going server in the account settings to match the account that I was trying to use to send the email. This is simply a case were checking everything matches within each accounts settings because thunderbird will auto-fill the boxes and in some cases use the server setting from the other account.
These solutions to my problems has got me thinking, and problems on forums also show this, most problems could be within the settings and not bugs or in some cases, a problem with hardware compatability.
One of the common questions I see on forum is not my WiFi does not work but rather, my WiFi as stopped working. Since getting a new btrouter I have been having trouble with the connection. However, the problem solely restricted go wifi, cable connection works fine. Occassionally all its taken is a simply reset. This problem of lose of connection also occurs other machine so I don’t think that the problem is always the software or computer but rather the router.
The fix is rather simple but there is no reset button on our router so turning it off for a few minutes is all that it takes.
I would like some ideas why routers have this problem.
Update- I have also found that I have been having problems with other machines around the house and the solution of turning the router on and off as worked for these as well. I am wondering if there is a wider problem concerning wifi!
A few months ago I bought myself a 16GB Nexus 7 tablet, for a while I got on alright with it but soon found I wanted to transfer files both to it and from it. When I connected it to my computer nothing came up to show that it had connected in the same way as my phone and or devices when I connected them.
As is usual with a problem I did a google search, the first few solutions that came up were on various bulletin boards, mostly fedora.org. These mostly offered the same kind of advice which involved scripting, changing permissions and other similar stuff. I thought it would be simple. I slipped the problem to one side while I worked a way from home. Hence a return a couple of weeks ago and the release of the new emusic launcher (see previous post). I was able to download some music via the emusic app but wanted to move the music to my computer which meant that I had to find a solution.
The reason why that a simple connection could not be done as before with my Android phone was found after some Googling to find a solution. As with many devices, the Nexus 7 does not have a SD card so does not come up as a external storage. This means that even with MTP stuff installed, it is not possible to use it as such a linux machines. However, it must be pointed out that it does appear in Amarok but is read only.
Some investigating later……solution found and pretty simple..
One the Nexus install a Ftp server app, there are many free ones.
When you start the app, you will get the following:
Press button to stop ftp server
Ftp server available on
Annoynmous user enabled
Now open a browser (firefox) and type the address into the address bar. Press enter. The files on the tablet should then appear in the browser window which effectively turns the browser into a file browser like dolphin.